"Artist Statement"
Corey Seng
Being involved in film and photography for roughly seven years, both of these arts essentially make up who I am today. Initially I was unsure of what I would do as a career, the daunting thoughts of becoming a doctor or lawyer bouncing around my head, However this all changed once I began watching the works of Ang Lee, Wong Kar Wai and Justin Lin. Witnessing fellow Asian Americans create something amazing and straying far from the beaten path, I became extremely inspired. Powering through films like Eat Drink Man Woman, Better Luck Tomorrow, and even Tokyo Drift, I began to feel that film to me was more than killing two hours in the dark. Viewing a plethora of Chinese movies such as films by Wong Kar Wai: In the Mood for Love and Chungking Express, I was became awed at his masterful use of sound, color, and framing, turning a mere film into an almost sensory experience. Seeking to capture that aesthetic of timeless vibrance, I tried my hand at filmmaking as well as photography, always paying close attention to color and tones. Exceedingly interested in the process of what it takes to make film, over the last few years I have entrenched myself in the media world: interning at a film studio, going on independent photo and video shoots, as well as creating a few films of my own. Far more than just a hobby, film has significantly altered my life and is something I intend to continue working on in the foreseeable future.
Corey Seng
Being involved in film and photography for roughly seven years, both of these arts essentially make up who I am today. Initially I was unsure of what I would do as a career, the daunting thoughts of becoming a doctor or lawyer bouncing around my head, However this all changed once I began watching the works of Ang Lee, Wong Kar Wai and Justin Lin. Witnessing fellow Asian Americans create something amazing and straying far from the beaten path, I became extremely inspired. Powering through films like Eat Drink Man Woman, Better Luck Tomorrow, and even Tokyo Drift, I began to feel that film to me was more than killing two hours in the dark. Viewing a plethora of Chinese movies such as films by Wong Kar Wai: In the Mood for Love and Chungking Express, I was became awed at his masterful use of sound, color, and framing, turning a mere film into an almost sensory experience. Seeking to capture that aesthetic of timeless vibrance, I tried my hand at filmmaking as well as photography, always paying close attention to color and tones. Exceedingly interested in the process of what it takes to make film, over the last few years I have entrenched myself in the media world: interning at a film studio, going on independent photo and video shoots, as well as creating a few films of my own. Far more than just a hobby, film has significantly altered my life and is something I intend to continue working on in the foreseeable future.
Comments
Post a Comment